8.12.2015

Ear Relevant: 7.27 - 8.10

Been awhile since I've done one of these. I've bought an absurd amount of records lately (well, for me at least. It's been a particularly diverse group of records too. 

First off, things started with getting a little buzzed and heading over to Permanent. Picked up 60s French pop star Claudine Longet's self-titled debut, the reggae-filled soundtrack to "The Harder They Come" featuring plenty of Jimmy Cliff, soulman Syl Johnson's Dresses Too Short (my first Numero LP), and Ray Manzarek's hypersynth version of Carmina Burana produced by Phillip Glass. Yes, that's just as weird as it sounds.


The next week there was a release show for Vamos and Ego, two mainstays in Chicago's punk / garage / DIY scene. They each had LPs out on Maximum Pelt so I got both of them; each have some rad album art. The show was at the Empty Bottle and I forgot my ear plugs like a stupid fucking idiot. Think it was worth it though. Made sure to bring the plugs the following night for Twin Hits (Twin Peaks + Today's Hits), Heavy Times, and the Lemons. No music purchased that night.



Hit up Wicker's Reckless last Saturday to pick up Titus Andronicus's newest, The Most Lamentable Tragedy. This album is brilliant. I wasn't so much a fan of Local Business but Titus is back, baby. 3LPs that force you to change records and not just flip sides, as well as alter the speed. I can't tell if they're just trolling or if it's the most goddamned brilliant listening experience of the year. I also spied a copy of Dub Narcotic Soundsystem's Boot Party and Jim Carrol Band's Dry Dreams. Went to [DIY Space] that night for Bitchfest. Caught She Speaks in Tongues who are fucking rad and Mr. Ma'am. Yes, I was hungover the next day.



...but that didn't stop me from going to a vegan food thing at Logan Hardware, then to Logan Records. Picked up a Waldren "Frog" Joseph record of New Orleans jazz which looks to be signed by him and others in the bad, and the album 10+8 by Andrzej Kurylewicz, a Polish jazz trumpeter, pianist, and composer. Certainly one of the better unexpected finds in my collection. Fans of avant-garde jazz: hunt this down.


Alright, now that I've spent all the money I made last week on music, I'm probably gonna take a break. Or...nahhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment